Monday, August 4, 2008

Refuse to Lose...

Last weekend, I watched ‘Provoked’ by Jagmohan Mundhra, starring Aishwarya Rai, Naveen Andrews and Nandita Das. An excellent movie, truly inspiring. Aishwarya Rai has acted better than any other movie of hers so far.

It’s a movie based on a true story. Kiranjit is convicted of murder of her husband. Kiranjit is from Punjab, and is married to a guy named Deepak Ahluwalia who lives in UK, who abuses her physically, mentally and sexually for nearly ten years. One night, after a fight, she pours gasoline and lights her husband while he is sleeping. Thought she did not intend to kill him, he died of his injuries ten days later. It’s awful to see the way she was abused. She fights, gets help and is convicted of involuntary man slaughter. Her two kids were generally the witnesses to the violence, which no kids go through!

I searched some more on her story and here is something I found out – In an interview she claimed: "I decided to show him how much it hurt. At times I had tried to run away, but he would catch me and beat me even harder. I decided to burn his feet so he couldn't run after me.” She also claimed: "I wanted to give him a scar like those he had given me, to have him suffer pain as I had.”

I cannot imagine what she might have gone through for those ten years! Being abused on a daily basis by the one you love and trust! Well, in a place like India, family honor is the most important thing, doesn’t matter even if a woman has to sacrifice her life! Till we teach our daughters to stand up for themselves, this will continue! It is a relief that she got justice, but I cannot imagine the hardships she had to go through to get out of the memories of those ten years, and gather herself together to start a new life. Cheers to her new life and refusing to lose.

0 comments:

 

Stream Of Thoughts Over A Cup Of Tea..... Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design